Thursday, September 25, 2008

Drafting For Personal Narrative

A Change of Heart

My brother has Autism. As far back as I can remember he has always had problems, but it wasn't until three or four years ago that he was diagnosed with Autism. At first it was a behavioral problem. then it was ODD (oppositional defiance disorder) then finally it was Autism and he was finally able to get the type of treatment he needed in order to live as normal as possible.

It wasn't until last year that I began to realize the impact my brother's disability on my life. Once he started going to my High School my relationships with my friends started to change. People started treating me differently because I stood up for my brother when he couldn't. I was called names and ultimately disowned by a few people who thought I had changed.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Multiple Events: People changed their opinion of me because of my brother's Autism

People:

Setting: BHS




Significance of the event:
I am proud of the way things turned out. I handled the situation the best I could and despite the fact that I quite clearly came out the loser in the end, I am fine with that. Life isn't about the number of friends you have, or your status in a community of people, it's about how you can feel about yourself at the end of the day. Can you look in the mirror and be proud of the person you see staring back at you? It's true that friends are important in people's lives, by nature we are people seeking beings, but your family; your support system, is by far more important in the end. If something happens to you, it's not your friends that are going to have your back, it's your family.

No comments: